Is glowing skin part of your New Year’s goals but don’t know where to start? In preparation for the New Year, we interviewed Amy, Master Esthetician at Hand and Stone Spa in Richmond, Virginia, to get the low-down on a beginner’s basic skincare routine.
“A good skincare routine doesn’t have to be complicated,” Amy says. “A few hard-working products will get you started.” Check out the following step-by-step routines for morning and evening that utilize just a few key products.
Morning Skincare Routine:
- Cleanser - Most of us know that we should be washing our face. A basic cleanser will remove dirt, bacteria, makeup, and dead skin cells. Because the skin on our face is unique, it is best to avoid harsh astringents and synthetic fragrances which will only cause irritation. Start with Frownies pH Balancing Face Wash. The pH balancing properties make it perfect for any skin type, from oily to acne-prone.
- Toner - A toner restores the natural pH of your skin’s surface and creates a protective barrier that allows the good stuff–serums and moisturizers–to pass through while keeping the bad stuff, like dirt and bacteria, out. “Opt for a spray-on toner which will prevent physical irritation to your skin,” Amy says. “Simply allow the toner to air-dry onto your skin or you may choose to gently pat it in with your fingertips.” Grab Frownies Rose Water Hydrator.
- Serum - Serums are highly concentrated ingredients to address specific skin concerns. Different serums can fight acne, maximize hydration, boost collagen, or target dark spots. Try Frownies Skin Serum with Vitamins C to lighten dark spots and even skin tone plus Vitamin E to lock in moisture and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Moisturizer - If you’ve been doing anything for your skin, you have probably used a face lotion. Any moisturizer will add hydration to the skin; a great moisturizer will add a protective barrier to limit water loss and protect from environmental damage. Opt for Frownies Moisturizer Face & Neck with Zinc Oxide for the added sun-protective benefit.
- Eye Cream - The skin under the eyes is up to 10 times thinner than the rest of the face which can show signs of fatigue and aging more quickly. Eye creams provide targeted hydration to keep the skin under the eye smooth and supple. Make sure to gently pat in a small amount of product using your ring finger, the weakest finger, to protect the delicate under-eye area, according to Amy. Frownies Eye Cream comes with the added benefit of caffeine from green tea to reduce the appearance of dark circles and decrease puffiness under the eye.
- SPF - Dermatologists recommend wearing an SPF every single day, specifically focusing on the face, ears, and hands–all the areas that are constantly exposed to the sun. An SPF protects your skin from harmful UVA and UVB, reducing the risk for skin cancer and combating premature signs of aging.
With this morning skincare routine, you are ready to tackle the day with glowing skin, whether you choose to wear makeup or not.
Now that you have a basic morning routine established, you are ready to move onto your evening routine. Good news! Many of your AM products will do double-duty for you in the PM!
Evening Skincare Routine:
- Cleanser - Start with the same cleanser as your AM routine to remove makeup, excess oil, dirt, and environmental pollutants your skin may have been exposed to throughout the day.
- Mask - A face mask is great for deep cleaning and detoxing the skin. Amy recommends starting with a face mask just once per week to see how your skin responds; then, you can increase usage up to two times per week. A great face mask will help absorb excess oil, deep clean pores, and prevent acne. We love Frownies Blue Green Algae Clay Mask.
- Toner - Again, use your same toner in the evening to maintain a balanced pH of your skin. The added benefit of hyaluronic acid in Frownies Rose Water Hydrator is known to improve the skin’s hydration, firmness, and elasticity and decrease the appearance of wrinkles.
- Serum - Since you won’t be layering on SPF and make-up, you can opt for a heavier serum in the evening to target specific skincare concerns. Some people will choose to use a prescription-strength retinol in this step. Just be aware, when beginning a retinol, many people experience redness, irritation, and peeling.
- Moisturizer and Eye Cream - Lock in hydration while you sleep with another layer of moisturizer followed by your under eye cream.
- Frownies Facial Patches - Have you heard of the original facial patches that are referred to as “Hollywood’s best kept secret?” Frownies Facial Patches for the Forehead & Between the Eyes contain no active ingredients; instead, they create a cast to train facial muscles and allow the overlying skin to lay flat, reducing the appearance of wrinkles - while you sleep! Pro Tip: Skip the serum on the areas where you will be applying your Frownies Patches to allow the patches to adhere to the skin properly.
There you have it! Skincare doesn’t have to be overwhelming or time-consuming. Cheers to your best skin in the New Year!
By: Dr. Megan C. Wright, PT, DPT
Megan C. Wright, PT, DPT is an authority in health and wellness content with over ten years of clinical experience as well as a freelance health writer. Megan received a BA in English from the University of Virginia and earned her Doctor of Physical Therapy from Marymount University. Megan lives outside Richmond, Virginia with her husband and two young boys.