Summer is right around the corner and while the importance of applying sunscreen is well-known, sometimes sunburn accidents do happen. It is imperative to care for your skin before – and after – time outside in the sun.
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends treating a sunburn by applying lotions with aloe vera such as Frownies Aloe Gel.
Sunburns often occur at the most unexpected times like cool spring days and cloudy summer days. We tend to skimp on the sun protection at those times when we don’t think of the sun as being “strong,” but there is always the potential for UV radiation to damage our skin.
Red, hot sunburnt skin may be the most severe indication of UV damage, but there are also more subtle signs such as dry, itchy, and flaky skin. Regardless of the severity of UV exposure, it is important to rehydrate your skin after a day outside. So, make Frownies Aloe Gel part of your summer skincare routine.
Repeated sun exposure has been shown to lead to photoaging – premature aging of this skin due to UV damage. Photoaging may be responsible for up to 90% of the changes seen on the skin such as fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration.
Protecting your skin from the sun is the best way to limit photoaging. When avoiding the sun isn’t possible, restorative and regenerative skin treatments can aid your body in repairing your skin after sun exposure.
Frownies Aloe Gel packs serious skin healing properties with just two powerhouse ingredients:
Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe vera is known for its skin healing properties. Multiple studies have shown that treating burns with aloe vera could speed healing times by up to 8 days (Burns, 2007)!
- Aloe vera gel is also potent anti-inflammatory. Aloe contains a compound called aloin which suppresses the body’s inflammation cascade.
- The humectants in aloe vera lock in moisture to the skin, preventing excessive drying and flaking of the skin and limiting further water loss through sunburned areas.
- Aloe vera is also high in antioxidants, so it can limit damage by UV rays and potentially reduce the risk of skin cancers.
- Aloe vera has also been shown to stimulate collagen and elastin production which helps restore the youthful appearance of the skin.
Lavender Essential Oil
- Frownies Aloe Gel uses therapeutic-grade cold-pressed lavender essential oil.
- Lavender essential oil improves skin healing and promotes collagen production. In a study published in BMC Complimentary Medicine and Therapies (2016), lavender has been shown to improve healing times of wounds and showed an increase in production of collagen.
- Lavender essential oil has numbing and pain-relieving properties due to its high levels of beta-caryophyllene – ideal to soothe irritated, sunburned skin.
- Lavender essential oil is also known to be antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial, so it can also decrease risk for infection while the skin barrier is healing.
Apply Frownies Aloe Gel after any sun exposure for maximal hydration with a cooling effect. And unlike other aloe vera gels, Frownies Aloe Gel moisturizes skin without a leaving a sticky residue.
For the unfortunate sunburn, apply Frownies Aloe Gel up to five to six times per day to soothe skin and minimize peeling.
By: Dr. Megan C. Wright, PT, DPT
Megan C. Wright, PT, DPT is an authority in health and wellness content with over ten years of clinical experience as well as a freelance health writer. Megan received a BA in English from the University of Virginia and earned her Doctor of Physical Therapy from Marymount University. Megan lives outside Richmond, Virginia with her husband and three young boys.